Ray Comfort, Biblical Literalists, God, and Slavery

Well, looks like Ray Comfort's page has done some housekeeping, and I'm no longer allowed to post comments there, since I questioned the perfection of a bible that condones rape and slavery.
The slavery question was answered by a few by saying it wasn't REALLY slavery, but a form of indentured servitude. Any quotation on the matter from the bible refutes that pretty well. There is no other way to define what the bible describes as anything BUT slavery.
Anyway, I wanted to go on to say that by redefining what wasn't really there, and rationalizing it away, one would be fudging the truth, or "bearing false witness", or lying. And lying is a sin punishable by death. And so, all said and done, not only have these "biblical literalists" lied about the nature of God's view on slavery, they lied about how much they believe in, and follow, the word of god.
As bible literalists, they would be commanded by god himself to put these liars to death. But they're lying about their own faith, so they don't REALLY have to.
But then, we're supposed to show them deference in their beliefs, change OUR laws, and our way of living to bend to THEIR whims? When they don't really believe?
They are very lucky that they are wrong about everything, especially heaven and hell.
But, it doesn't matter, because any form of logic that impedes their belief system (which, we have proven, they don't believe) gets blocked out of the bubble they live in. And then they go on to vote. We're screwed...
 I once challenged the reality of a preacher with a booth at the local county fair. I was polite, and non-threatening. He threatened to call the cops. I wasn't up for the hassle, it was hot, I was tired, a little hungover. I said okay, and moved on. I'm still embarrassed that I didn't stay to see what the cops would have said about it.
That fair is going on this weekend. Each year, I think about going back to visit my old friend, but something comes up. I'm going to miss it again... *sigh...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Intrepid Reporter is Eye-Ball Deep in it Again

Vershire School

The Psychics and My Town