Landlord's Homemade Wine

  Our landlord dropped off some supplies for us in consideration of Suziema's surgery and all. We've been getting packages from a lot of people. Friends have been very nice.

   Anyway, the landlord gave us a bottle of his homemade wine. Usually, you smile, nod, and stick a homemade wine gift in the back of the closet to be forgotten, or take a sip, then toss it down the drain. Often, it's undrinkable. But what the hell, I'm not drinking much these days, and it's free. So I gave it a shot.

   This is not a great wine. But it doesn't have any feel to it that it intends to be. It's a light grape juice. Now, that may be a bad thing to some, and to me, if done badly, but this is a very nice, quenching drink. It has a hint of effervescence. It's sweeter than I would usually like. But not as sweet as you would think. There's not a lot of alcohol, but it's definitely there. And there's just a touch of earthiness that gives the whole thing a bit of grounding (pun not intended).

   I might prefer a bold 18 year old Barolo, or a Brunello most of the time (never be able to afford them), but right now, this is the perfect drink. Refreshing in the best sense of the word.

  I'm more than pleasantly surprised. Very nice job, Drew. Thank you very much.

  I'm halfway through the bottle as I type, and looking forward to the other half.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Intrepid Reporter is Eye-Ball Deep in it Again

Vershire School

The Psychics and My Town