Atheists, Anti-theists, and What the "A" Stands For. A Point of Clarity.

I got this question from an atheist once and was surprised since it sounded like what a theist would ask. But there seems to be some question even among people that should know better.
"I have been wondering this for a while and it would make since (sic) (or at least it does to me), does the "A" in "Atheism stand for the word "Anti"?"
So there will be no misunderstanding, this was my response:



"A" is a prefix simply meaning "without". Asexual reproduction, amoral, and several other examples that just aren't coming to my tired mind right now. That's why we make a distinction between "atheists" and the more strident (as I consider myself) "anti-theist". The first has no belief in gods, the other is a subset of the same group that feels that not only are there no gods to believe in, but that the belief itself is harmful and destructive and should be encouraged to go away.

Are we clear?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Intrepid Reporter is Eye-Ball Deep in it Again

Vershire School

The Psychics and My Town