Drinking, Religion, and Politics

  There was a bar in Greenwich Village, at the bottom of Christopher Street. The Lion's Head. There were a LOT of drinks involved, and I was with a female editor of Sports Illustrated. The Lion's Head was famous in its day for writers and reporters to drink, argue, discuss, and hide from their wives. There were stories plastered all over the walls of the famous and infamous that used to frequent the joint. It was, to my sensibilities, the quintessential American free speech tavern. I didn't know it well. I'd only been there a few times. They had terrific calamari. Anyway, my drinking companion and I got into a wide-ranging discussion of a lot of things. I don't remember the details, there were a LOT of drinks involved. Politics, religion, philosophy. We got animated, and I guess we got loud. And we got thrown out! I thought we were having a good discussion. But there you have it. "Free speech" irony. We wandered off into the night and continued elsewhere. The Lion's Head is no longer there. I thoroughly enjoyed the evening.
  There was a bar in my town where I worked for awhile. A bar, bar. On a night off, I had some drinks, hanging out. Chilling. Playing pool. About 5 or 6 Marines came in. We shot some pool, shot some shit, had a good time. The subject of flag burning came up. I was for it. They had another view. There was DEFINITE tension in the air. There was at one point that I was pretty sure they were going to kick my ass. But, drunk as I was, I made my points, made my peace, and had what I felt was,  if not their agreement, their begrudging respect for my point of view. Drinks were bought, and drunk. No one got beat up. And my friends were amazed that I didn't end up in the hospital. We had fun.
   My point is that there is this "law" or "rule" that politics and religion should not be discussed in the bar. I call bullshit. The best times I ever had out on the town involved intense and honest talks about the reality of life. The worst are when I'm stuck with people who do the usual "safe" discussions about sports. And, ironically, some of the times when I REALLY felt fisticuffs were imminent were over sports. I have no interest in sports. An incredibly stupid bore. To each, their own.
  Behind the bar, pouring the drinks and taking care of clientele, it's another matter. It's a rare occasion that I feel it's my place to bring my opinion into the matter. I've broken that rule, but carefully and rarely. But it's a sad state of affairs when one has to shy away from controversy in a bar. Diplomacy is always called for. And when the bartender tells you you're over the top, it's time to chill. But religion and politics? Have at it. Just be sure to keep civil. And don't be dull. And it's a good idea to keep an eye on who you're talking with and bail when it gets too heated and stupid. Like the old joke. When you're sitting next to the guy that says, "I like my women like I like my Scotch. 12 years old and mixed up with coke", you know you're sitting in the wrong place at the wrong time. Pay your tab, tip, and GET OUT. (That's a horrible thing to do to Scotch...)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/05/nyregion/05nyc.html?_r=0
Times article on the demise of the Lion's Head Pub

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Intrepid Reporter is Eye-Ball Deep in it Again

Vershire School

The Psychics and My Town