Catching Up on Life

  Suziema has been busy. She works a lot, so it was with no surprise but some disappointment that she told me she hasn't had time to check out this blog.
  I've been checking here and there, trying to find work. Filling out applications, checking Craig's List and the local papers. There was a place I just got back from that will be opening soon that looked hopeful, but didn't call. I wanted to check on why and was told they already did all the hiring. I never even got an interview. "We might call in the next month or so, you know how opening goes...." The polite brush-off. I've gotten older. Burned some bridges. But the business has changed. Experience, knowledge were my strengths, but they have no value anymore.
  When the economy went into a tailspin, so many bodies were thrown into the mix, all looking for jobs of any kind, and now you have the ultimate result of "trickle down economics". Wages slashed, jobs transferred overseas, and a simple restaurant gig that was easy to find anywhere, anytime is now a crowded field. And workers are throw-away items. You don't work out for them, there's a thousand others looking to take the place. And the younger, the better.
  And those kids ARE better. They may not even have any idea of what they're selling, but they sell it with a smile, tow the company line, and don't have a lot of questions. It's simple. Go to work, get paid, go party with your friends. Not to knock them. It's the nature of the biz, and the economy. For me, it's a career. It's what I do, all I've done, and all I probably ever will do. It ain't much of a living, I ain't gonna get rich, but it was my little corner of partaking in this life in this society. It was my niche. And my niche is no longer as welcoming as it once was.
  I have an interview tomorrow. And I have a few options out there. There's a young up-and-comer that I hope takes my experience for what it's worth, or at least what I thought it should be worth. And there's the Country Clubs...
  I'm sorry, guys. I'm not the cheeriest camper on any given day, but this day is dark. DARK. Maybe time to change the name of the blog. Philosophy, politics, and religion from behind the EIGHT BALL...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Intrepid Reporter is Eye-Ball Deep in it Again

Vershire School

The Psychics and My Town