Limitations

I am not an expert. I have experience in some matters, less in others, but I can claim no expertise in any field. I've worked in restaurants off and on for over 40 years, and I can tell you that you can find a LOT of people that are better, faster, and have more knowledge. And there are people that are definitely not. I read. I watch the news. I catch a bit of pop culture (less as I age). But I am no expert on anything. But one thing I'm starting to notice more and more is that the people that ARE experts (don't get your panties in a bunch. Technical expertise in medicine, science, whatever...well, there ARE experts out there) , but the vast number of people that claim expertise are full of shit. Politics is full of them. And bloggers. And talking heads. And celebrities. And authors. And scholars. It turns out that the ones I agree with are REALLY experts, and the ones I don't are asshats. Don't you agree?
In any field, there are right ways to do things, better ways to do things, and genius ways to do things. And, of course there are ways that are just plain wrong all the way to ways that are disastrous. Any given moment any of us are capable of hitting any of that spectrum.
What I'm trying to say here is that I have limitations. We all do. It's humanity. We're evolving, some of us are getting better, most of us are like me, I think, flailing along trying to make the world better, or our lives better, or trying to make sense out of it, or trying to just get through the day, and screwing the pooch more often than not.
But I look at the world and see the things that shouldn't even be a controversy, things that humanity has already proven work, or don't work, or are disastrous, and we find ourselves going back to fighting the same battles over and over.
Peace and diplomacy is better than war. Reason is better than fantasy. Progress is better than stasis or backwardness. We can't live on a poisoned planet. Theft is bad. Justice is good. All that and more. But the argument today is to revisit all of that. And find it wanting. There is no karma. Very little justice. And not a lot of reason. And where we find reason and justice, we find it under attack. And often losing, or at best, having to waste time and energy defending itself.
I have limitations. I'm going to be wrong some. I'm going to try to defend my POV as best I can, and some will not be able to follow along. I'm going to make typos. I'm going to make assertions that turn out not to be exactly true. I'm going to try to fix my mistakes sometimes, not always. I'm going to insult some people, falsely placate others, and probably make a mess of my head and my life. It should be good fun. It might not be. I have my limitations. I make no promises.
"Screwing the pooch" may become a theme here. Such is life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Intrepid Reporter is Eye-Ball Deep in it Again

Vershire School

The Psychics and My Town